Ducati has released a video of behind-the-scene stunt action in the new movie Venom featuring a customised Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle and Ducati Scrambler 1100 Special.
Venom, an M-rated Spiderman spinoff, is now in cinemas starring actor Tom Hardy who personally rides a Triumph Thruxton R.
While Tom rode in some Venom scenes, he doesn’t do all the stunts as this video shows, unlike fellow Tom (Cruise) who claims he does his own stunts in the latest Mission Impossible sequel.
This head-on photo does not look like Tom (Hardy), but a stunt double, even though it’s just riding in a straight line.
Tom did a bit of riding in Mad Max in Mad Max: Fury Road, but it’s difficult to see him doing more than picking the bike up off its stand – at least in the official Venom trailer.
All the same, it’s great to see more motorcycles hitting the big screen.
It’s a subtle way of embedding the excitement of riding in younger viewers.
The movie was shot some time ago, so it does not feature the updated Full Throttle.
Like the 2019 Icon, Desert Sled and Cafe Racer, it now comes with Bosch cornering ABS, a fuel gauge, LED daytime running light and indicators, blackened engine, “ergonomic” controls, adjustable brake lever, lighter clutch and the Ducati Multimedia System where riders can listen to their favourite playlists, answer calls or chat with the passenger.
While BMW has had a long history of using product placement in movies with both cars and motorcycles in the Mission Impossible and James Bond franchises, Ducati has a long way to catch up.
Ducatis have had bit parts in quite a few movies, but none of the blockbuster franchises like BMW.
Some movies featuring Ducatis:
- Dr Evil (Mike Myers) and Mini Me (Verne Troyer) ride a 748 in Goldmember (2002);
- Wesley Snipes is on board an ST2 in Blade II (2002);
- The Matrix Reloaded (2003) features Carrie-Ann Moss on a 996,
- Seth Green drops a Ducati 748 in The Italian Job (2003);
- Leonardo DiCaprio rides a Streetfighter S in Inception (2010);
- Ducati 848 trans forms into Arcee in the 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen;
- A 2006 Ducati Sport Classic is used in TRON: Legacy (2010);
- Tom Cruise pillions Cameron Diaz in Knight and Day on a Ducati Hyperstrada in 2010;
- British tough guy Jason Statham rides a Desmosedici RR in The Expendables (2010);
- Ducatis feature in Wall Street; Money Never Sleeps (2010) with a Streetfighter and two Desmosedici RR models;
- Gal Gadot rides a Streetfighter in Fast Five (2011); and
- The baddies rode Ducati Hypermotards in the 2017 remake of CHiPs.