Curve signs - Oxley Highway may set safety standard Austroads read Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) Signs warnings

Vehicle sensors read speed signs 

Future motorcycles and other vehicles may have sensors that read roadside speed limit signs and electronically intervene to limit the vehicle’s speed.

Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) is already included in some luxury cars and could soon be more widespread as automated cars, buses, trucks and even motorcycles become available.

The technology uses sensors which “read” and interpret roadside traffic signs and govern the speed of automated vehicles to the posted speed limit.

Yamaha and BMW have already developed automated motorcycles and other companies such as KTM and Ducati are working similar radar technology.

Signs need changes

Austroads read Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) Signs
Austroads report on TSR

Austroads has published a report that says to cope with the demands of these automated vehicles with TSR technology, our roadside signs will have to be redesigned, well maintained and repositioned.

“Vehicle manufacturers are moving towards enabling speed assistance and automated driving using TSR systems and the benefits of successful introduction are likely to be significant for road safety,” the report says.

However, we can think of several scenarios where interventionist technology limiting your speed could be danger. 

For example, if you commit to overtaking a vehicle which then speeds up, you could be left stranded on the wrong side of the road, unable to complete the overtaking manoeuvre.

Another example is a damaged sign. What would TSR make of signs in rural areas that have been used for target practice! 

Sign trials Signs hazards Austroads read Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) Signs

Austroads conducted trials of TSR technology on signs on motorways and local roads in Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland.

While TSR is fast approaching, Austroads says there is still some work to be done to make them work properly.

It found that electronic signs could not be consistently read by TSR systems and current signs needed to be better placed.

Austroads also says databases of speed zones will supplement TSR systems.

The report recommends changes to enhance traffic sign readability on electronic signs, installation and maintenance, sign positioning and location, sign face design, vehicle-mounted signs, and other advisory and information signs.

As for positioning, we would hope they would move signs further from the road so they are not a hazard to riders and make them out of more flexible material.

  1. Whilst speed limit signs might be acceptable I would take issue with “advisory” signs which are always (?) set way too low. Whether it is in a car or on a bike the yellow signs seem to set for inexperienced drivers driving / riding antiquated vehicles on leaf suspension with cross ply tyres. I find an increase of about 50% is still safe for about 98% of the signs. The other 2% tighten the sphincter a little but you still get around fine. To be forced to crawl around these corners by a computer would be stupid.

  2. If eventually introduced here’s hoping they will only work on actual “speed limit” signs and not on speed “advisory” signs… :/

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get free access to the best motorcycle newsletter on the planet

Join The Newsletter