The third oldest branch of the international Ulysses Club for matured-aged riders, the Darling Downs Branch, has celebrated its 30th anniversary.
The party was held on October 26 at Club Glenvale and attracted more than 80 members.
The tale of the Darling Downs Branch beginning is almost legendary:Ulysses founder Stephen Dearnley was sitting in a pub in Sydney in 1983 with four of his mates when they decided to start a social club for older motorcyclists.
They had some early contacts in country areas and one of those was a man named Bill Anderson from Toowoomba. He was #7 member of the Ulysses Club.
There was no formal Branch back then. However, by 1984, riders from Brisbane and the Darling Downs had a combined ride calendar and sometimes rode together with riders from northern NSW.
But on February 9, 1986, that was all about to change.
On the night that Halley’s Comet passed by the closest point to Earth, Bill and his mates officially formed The Darling Downs Branch.
They elected one office bearer, Bill, who was to be first “President, Secretary, Treasurer, Billy Boiler and Bike Washer”.
Darling Downs Branch was the second branch to be formed outside of Sydney, the first being Melbourne. That also makes it the first provincial city branch.
The following year the branch participated in the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers and won a couple of awards.
Another milestone for the branch was the hosting of the 1995 AGM at the Glenvale Showgrounds. Branch President that year was Frank Mann.
The event ran for three days and attracted 1800 people.The special branch banner from that AGM was displayed at the recent 30th Anniversary Celebration.