It’s enough to send shivers up your spine, but an Indian man has ridden 11km with a deadly krait snake inside his helmet.
School teacher Ranjith told Indian news website Mathrubhumi that he didn’t feel the snake and was not bitten.
Ranjith is very lucky as the krate is one of the top four species that inflict the most snakebites in India.
As for the snake, it died from being crushed inside the helmet.
As for the helmet, Ranjith burnt it!
“I think the snake might have got into the helmet from the pond near my house,” he told Mathrubhumi.
“The snake was inside my helmet for a long time, but I never felt anything unusual while wearing it.”
At least it didn’t attack like this snake!
Snakes have not only been known to hitch rides on planes, but also on motorcycles before as these videos show.
They are attracted to the warmth of the engine as well as the dark and warmth of the cavity under the seat.
The reptile usually boards the bike while it is parked somewhere.
We have run over many snakes while riding and none has been flicked up on to the bike.
Spiders are also common unwelcome hitchhikers.
I once rode almost 500km from Bateman’s Bay to Mudgee with a big spider on my jacket which I had stupidly placed on the ground while I drank my coffee.
Never, ever put your helmet or jacket on the ground! Lesson learnt.
On another occasion I had a hornet in my jacket that repeatedly bit me for several kilometres until I could find it and kill it.
If you are bitten by a snake, spider or other venomous creature, obviously seek medical attention as soon as possible.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service has a Fast First Aid booklet with advice for people with no medical training on how to manage first-aid situations. It includes managing a heart attack, snake bites, choking, burns and severe bleeding.
It is free in NSW and ACT only. To receive your copy text ‘NOW’ to 0428 044 444.
There are about 3000 reported snakebites each year resulting in between 200 and 500 requiring anti-venom and an average of one or two fatalities.
RFDS guide on snake bites
Do try to note the colour, size, distinctive markings and patterns of the snake without putting yourself at risk. A positive identification will help medics get the correct anti-‐venom into the patient more quickly.
Do NOT wash the area of the bite or try to suck out the venom. It is extremely important to retain traces of venom for use with venom identification kits.
Do NOT incise or cut the bite, or apply a high tourniquet. Cutting or incising the bite won’t help. High tourniquets are ineffective and can be fatal if released.
Do stop the spread of venom – bandage firmly, splint and immobilise. All the major medical associations recommend slowing the spread of venom by placing a folded pad over the bite area and then applying a firm bandage. It should not stop blood flow to the limb or congest the veins. Only remove the bandage in a medical facility, as the release of pressure will cause a rapid flow of venom through the bloodstream.
Do NOT allow the victim to walk or move their limbs.
Use a splint or sling to minimise all limb movement. Put the patient on a stretcher or bring transportation to the patient.
Do seek medical help immediately as the venom can cause severe damage to health or even death within a few hours.
Have you ever had a snake, spider or other unwelcome guest on your motorcycle? How did you deal with it? Leave your comments below.