The Low Rider S returns to the Harley-Davidson stable with its biggest engine yet, along with three new CVO models for 2020. They will be in stores from early October.
Back in 2016, the Low Rider S was a twin-shock Dyna fitted with a 110-cube Screamin’ Eagle engine. Now it arrives as a single-shock Softail with a Milwaukee-Eight 114 engine.
The previous model was a big seller for Harley-Davidson Australia, so they will be hoping this is the same.
They certainly need the boost after a 19.4% drop in sales in the first half of 2019.
Still, the company is the top-selling road bike company in Australia after Honda sales crashed 11.8% as Australia Post seems to have stopped buying their Postie scooter.
Low Rider S
The menacing-looking Low Rider S is marked by blacked-out finishes, raised handlebars, solo seat and a Sons of Anarchy mini fairing.
It’s knuckles to the wind with a 2.5cm (one-inch) diameter motocross-style handlebar mounted on 10cm (four-inch) straight risers.
The Low Rider S powertrain, primary cover and tank console are finished in Wrinkle Black, the derby cover, intake, and lower rocker covers are Gloss Black, the mufflers and exhaust shields are Jet Black and the forks, triple-clamp, riser and handlebar, and rear fender supports are Matte
The LED layback tail lamp has a smoked lens.
It sits on bronze cast-aluminium wheels will be available in Vivid Black and Barracuda Silver.
Price is now $A27,995 ($NZ29,995), up from $25,995 in 2016 when it was a 110 engine.
2020 CVO range
The new limited-production Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) models are CVO Tri Glide, CVO Limited and CVO Street Glide.
All are powered by the Milwaukee Eight 117-cube (1923cc) V-twin with 169Nm of torque (125 lb ft).
They now come with new technologies and electronic Reflex Defensive Rider Systems (RDRS) with chassis control, electronic brake control and powertrain technology.
Not only does RDRS feature traction control, but also cornering ABS, linked braking, clutch assist to limit rear wheel lock-up, tyre pressure monitors and even assistance to prevent you rolling backward on hill starts!
CVO Tri-Glide: $A73,250 ($NZ78,995)
CVO Limited: $A57,495 ($NX59,750)
CVO Street Glide: $54,995 ($NZ56,495)
CVO Tri-Glide features:
- Tomahawk Contrast Cut cast aluminium wheels (front 19-inch and rear 18-inch diameter)
- Kahuna Collection accessories: heated rider grips, pegs, rider and passenger floorboards, and muffler tips
- All LED Lighting: Daymaker® headlamp, fog lamps, tail/brake lamps and signals
- Colour-matched painted fairing duct
- Low-Profile windshield
- Clean front fender is trimmed to expose more of the custom front wheel
- Power locking trunk with interior light
- Heated rider and passenger seat covers
- Ventilator air cleaner and air cleaner insert
- Lighted hand controls
- Tour-Pak carrier dome light and carrier rack
- CVO motorcycle custom-fit luggage and a trunk organiser
- CB radio
Colours: Blizzard White with a three-stripe graphic pattern and Gray Contrast Cut wheels and bright chrome finishes; Black Stardust with a three-stripe graphic pattern and Gloss Black Contrast Cut wheels and bright chrome finishes.
CVO Street Glide features:
- Fugitive cast aluminium wheels
- Low-profile two-piece fuel tank console
- Updated rider and passenger seat/backrest cover and stitching
- Heavy Breather air cleaner with two paint treatments
- Larger colour-matched oil cooler cover is a larger size
- Smoked mid-frame air deflectors
- Billet fairing-mount mirrors
- Black Stardust Fade to Stormcloud with subtle graphic treatment highlighted by Satin Chrome and Bright Chrome finishes. Fugitive wheels finished in Gloss Black/Satin. Ventilator air cleaner.
- Smokey Gray and Black Hole with new 1970s/race-inspired graphics highlighted by Gloss Black, Satin Black and Black Onyx finishes. Fugitive wheels finished in Denim Black/Gloss Black. Gloss Black Heavy Breather air cleaner.
- Premium Sand Dune monotone finish with pearl topcoat and subtle graphics highlighted by Smoked Satin Chrome, Gloss Black and Black Onyx finishes. Fugitive wheels finished in Gloss Black/Smoked Satin. Gloss Black Heavy Breather air cleaner.
CVO Limited colours
- Moonlight Blue with Deep Sea Blue Accents done with modern twist of two-tone and panel style paint highlighted by Satin Chrome and Bright Chrome finishes and new graphics and medallions; Tomahawk wheels finished in Contrast Gloss Black/Satin.
- Smokey Gray with Stormcloud Accents done with modern twist of two-tone and panel style paint highlighted by Gloss Black, Satin Black and Black Onyx finishes and new graphics and medallions; Tomahawk wheels finished in Contrast Denim Black/Gloss Black.
- Premium Sand Dune monotone finish with pearl topcoat and subtle graphics highlighted by Smoked Satin Chrome, Gloss Black and Black Onyx finishes; Tomahawk wheels finished in Gloss Black/Smoked Satin.