Harley-Davidson motorcycles have a long history as police vehicles in the US and Canada, but now, for the first time, they are being used by Indian police.
Instead of the big Touring models so popular in the States, the Gujarat Police Department will use six customised Street 750 bikes.
Not only is the first time Harleys have been used by Indian police, but it’s the highest capacity bikes they have ever used.
The Street 750 motorcycles have been modified with special paintwork, a beacon, siren and panniers.
The bike is the bigger-capacity brother of the learner-legal Street 500 which has romped up the sales charts in Australia.
Both are made in Kansas as well as India and Australia gets its bikes from the sub continent.
In the first quarter of this year, the Street 500 was the second-biggest-selling cruiser in the market, despite only being available for sale since the start of February.
It is expected to finish the year within the top three or five best-selling motorcycles in the Australian market which is currently dominated by LAMS bikes.
Harley-Davidson Street XG500 tech specs
- Price: $9995 ($10,995 in New Zealand) rideaway
- Warranty: 24 months, unlimited km, roadside assist
- Service: 1600km/8000km
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, 4-valve, 494cc Revolution X V-Twin
- Power: about 25kW
- Torque: 50Nm @ 3500rpm
- Bore x Stroke: 69 x 66mm
- Compression: 11:1
- Transmission: 6-speed, wet multi-plate clutch, belt drive
- Length: 2225mm
- Width: 820mm
- Height: 1058mm
- Seat: 709mm
- Clearance: 145mm
- Rake/trail: 32°/115mm
- Wheelbase: 1534mm
- Tyres: Michelin Scorcher 100/80 R17; 140/75 R15
- Fuel: 13.1L
- Weight: 218kg
- Chassis: tubular steel
- Suspension: 37mm telescopic forks, twin tubular shocks adjustable for pre-load
- Brakes: 292mm/260mm discs, 2-piston callipers
- Lean Angles: 28.5°
- Economy: 3.74L/100km, 360+km range
Check out our latest motor bike news and motorcycle reviews.