Not an Indian Motorcycle electric bike, but an Indian-made Emflux ONE electric bike may soon be coming to Australia.
The fully-faired sports tourer has a top speed of 200km/h, 80% recharge time of 36 minutes, range of 200km in the city and 150km on the highway at 80km/h.
They will cost about $US9350 (about $A12,000) for the base model and $US17,150 (about $A22,000) for the top model with Ohlins suspension, carbon fibre panels and forged alloy wheels.
The Emflux ONE features a lightweight trellis frame, 9.7kWh battery pack, single-sided swingarm, 60kW motor and single-speed reduction gearbox.
It also features a “Parking/Walking Assist” which is goes forward and in reverse at 3km/h maximum to help you get in and out of tight parking spaces.
Emflux Motors CEO and co-founder Varun Mittal told us they will make 199 bikes for the Indian market and 300 more for export.
“We will be expanding to other countries in the near future such as, but not limited to, Australia, Indonesia, some European countries, US and some African countries,” he says.
“We are connecting with people in these countries, but the final decision would be based on the responses from these countries and regulations for EV.”
With Harley-Davidson announcing they will release their electric bike next year, companies like Emflux Motors will have to get a foothold in the electric vehicle market before the big companies move in.
Emflux Motors developed the electric drivetrain including the battery, battery management system, charger, motor controller and the motor for two- as well as four-wheelers.
They will not only sell the electric bike but also by license their technology to other companies.
Emflux consists of 25 engineers, designers and others from various fields.
Varun, an electronics whiz, founded the company with computer graduate Ankit Khatry, and TVS motorcycle designer Vinay Raj Somashekar.
Except for the brakes, tyres and suspension, every component on the Emflux ONE has been designed and engineered in-house.
Emflux ONE specifications
- Price: $US9350 (about $A12,000) for the base model and $US17,150 (about $A22,000) for top model
- Chassis: Tubular Steel Trellis, Single-Sided Tubular Steel Swingarm
- Suspension: 43mm Upside Down Forks (Upgradable to Öhlins Race and Track USD 43mm forks with Adjustable Preload, Damping and Rebound); 46mm Mono Gas Shock (Upgradable to Öhlins with 46mm Monotube Gas Shock with Adjustable Preload, Damping and Rebound)
- Brakes: 300mm discs with Brembo monoblock 4 piston radially mounted calipers; 220mm disc with Brembo fixed caliper, ABS
- Tyres: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 120/70 ZR17; II 180/55 ZR17*
- Wheels: Cast Alloy (Upgradable to Forged Alloy)
- Wheelbase: 1395mm
- Seat: 810mm]
- Rake: 23.5 degrees
- Wet weight: 169kg
- Battery: Emflux™ Li-ion, Liquid Cooled Modular Battery Pack with Integrated High Power Samsung® Cells*
- Nominal Capacity: 9.7KWh
- Charger Type: Emflux™ WARP Charger™
- Charging time: 80% in 36 minutes from WARP Charger™, 3 Hours from Regular 15A Wall Charger
- Cooling System – Air cooled
- Motor: Emflux™ 3 Phase AC Induction with Liquid Cooling
- Torque: 84Nm (Limited to 75Nm from the controller)
- Power: 60kW (Limited to 53 kW (71hp) from the controller)
- Transmission: Primary Reduction – 58:19, Direct Drive
- Battery Warranty: 100,000km/5 years (More than 80% of the initial capacity)
- Motorcycle Warranty: 100000km/5 years (Except for normal wear and tear)
- Top Speed: 200Km/h
- 0-100Km/h: 3 seconds
- Range: 200km (city), 150km @ 80km/h