The latest patent application drawings from Honda seem to indicate the Japanese company is planning an electric Fireblade, albeit with high bars.
But don’t get too excited or outraged yet!
Most traditional motorcycle manufacturers have toyed with the idea of electric motorcycles for years.
Some have produced electric scooters, mobility scooters, trials bikes and trail bikes.
However, none has yet come to the market with a full-sized electric motorcycle, except for Harley’s LiveWire.
Honda also filed has an extraordinary number of patent applications in the past couple of years.
None of these has yet come to the market either.
Honda patent blitz
- Compact airbags that can be fitted on any size motorcycle, not just the Goldwing;
- A revised Blackbird sports bike with eight aerodynamic winglets;
- Bikes that respond to your emotions by adjusting throttle and brakes and suspension;
- Electric motorcycles with an alarm to warn pedestrians unaware of the approaching quiet vehicle;
- A head-display windscreen that is also touch sensitive;
- Suspension that works via artificial intelligence to predict and adjust damping;
- Active aero where winglets deploy above a certain speed;
- Direct injection;
- A bike with a variable riding position that converts from a sports bike with a crouched riding position to a street bike with an upright position;
- A small-capacity bike with non-ventilated drum brakes;
- A helmet that integrates with the bike and monitors for of an impending rear-ender;
- A helmet that recognises your face when you put your helmet on and acts as a remote key fob to switch on your motorcycle;
- A rider air-conditioner;
- A “climate seat” that blows hot or cool air;
- A leaning trike;
- A retro design based on the CMX 500 Rebel; and
- A hydrogen-powered motorcycle.
Honda’s electric plans seem more tailored to scooters, mobility scooters and small commuter bikes.
Also, the use of the Fireblade outline in the drawings could simply be artist expediency as several other patent application drawings have included Fireblade outlines.