Australian motorcycle travel company World on Wheels is offering the first ladies-only tour of the Himalayas this July and August.
WOW cofounder Denise Ferris (pictured above) says she has been thinking about a “ladies-only tour” for some time.
“There are a lot more women who ride these days, so why not?” she told us when we interviewed her in December 2015.
Now Denise plans to lead what she believes is the first ladies-only “motorcycle and soul safari” across the Indian Himalaya.
Given the popularity of women’s only track days, rider training and “garage parties” where women are taught basic maintenance, it should be a hit.
Women on the tour will ride classic 500cc Royal Enfield motorcycles across the Himalayan mountain range as well as taking part in yoga and meditation classes.
“It is an opportunity to breathe,” says Denise who is one of the most experienced female motorcycle travel guides in the world.
As a co-founder of Ferris Wheels more than two decades ago with husband Mike, she has travelled the world extensively, running motorcycle tours on four continents.
“You will spend time in wonder, listening to the voice of your soul while absorbing the colour, the culture, the cuisine and the connection of India and her people,” she says of the Himalayan tour.
Rides will stay in boutique accommodation, contribute meaningfully to a local community, visit sacred temples and celebrate “all that women are”.
The tour from July 28 to August 8, 2017, will cost US$8500 per person twin share.
Safari inclusions: Yoga/meditation teacher, bike rental, 11 nights in boutique hotel accommodation, one night luxury camping (twin share), airport transfers , meals, English-speaking guide, minibus support vehicle, mechanic, first-aid back-up, fuel, maintenance and repairs and third party bike insurance.
The price does not include international flights, taxes, personal expenses, comprehensive travel insurance (about A$300-00) and visa (US$80).
The tour will have a minimum of eight riders and maximum of 12.
Himalayan Heaven – A Safari for the Soul
- Day 1 Friday 28 July Arrive New Delhi. The Claridges Hotel – 2 nights
- Day 2 Saturday 29 July Tour opening, Akshardam Temple. Afternoon spa, shopping, explore Delhi.
- Day 3 Sunday 30 July Train to Chandigarh. Ride to Parwanoo (30k). Swim, yoga, relax. Moksha Resort.
- Day 4 Monday 31 July Morning practice. Ride to Shimla (90k), Queen of Hill Stations. Meditation. The Cecil.
- Day 5 Tuesday 01 August Yoga/meditation. (155k) Ride to Shojha, Seraj Valley. Banjara Retreat – 2 nights.
- Day 6 Wednesday 02 August Optional morning practice. Walk & picnic. Relaxation. Creative mandala session.
- Day 7 Thursday 03 August Daily yoga/meditation practice. Ride to Manali (105k), explore. The Himalayan.
- Day 8 Friday 04 August Daily practice. Ride (125k) across Rohtang La to Keylong. Dekyid Hotel.
- Day 9 Saturday 05 August Personal daily practice. Ride to Sarchu, via Baralacha La (105k). Planet Himalaya.
- Day 10 Sunday 06 August Ride to Leh (260k) via Taglang La. Meditation. The Grand Dragon – 3 nights.
- Day 11 Monday 07 August Relaxation. Morning practice. Explore Leh, shopping. Community project.
- Day 12 Tuesday 08 August Morning practice. Ride to highest road in the world (100k), Khardung La ! Afternoon completion ceremony. Farewell Dinner.