Race fans will get a dose of father and son action when three-time World Superbike champion Troy Bayliss returns to Australian Superbike racing this year.
Troy’s 14-year-old son, Oli, is in his second year in the Australian Supersport 300 Championship and will be riding at the same venues as his dad.
He won the 1999 British Superbike championship riding a Ducati and won the last race of the 2006 MotoGP in a one-off ride for Ducati. But he has never won the ASBK.
He hopes to change that this year.
And at his side will be his teenage son who finished a credible fourth in the supersport 300 category in 2017, including a round win at Hidden Valley, Darwin.
Despite Oli’s age, his father has full confidence in his son’s ability to compete in the series with Cube Racing Kawasaki.
Both riders are sponsored by AGV and will wear flagship Pista GP R 100% carbon fibre race helmets.
2018 ASBK Calendar
Here is where you can see the Bayliss father and son team.
- Pre-Season Official ASBK Test – Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, January 30 – 31
- Round 1- WSBK, Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit, February 22 – 25
- Round 2- Wakefield Park Raceway, Goulburn, NSW, March 16 – 18
- Round 3- The Bend Motorsport Park, Tailem Bend, SA, April 19 – 22
- Round 4- Hidden Valley Raceway, Darwin, June 28 – 1 July
- Round 5- Morgan Park Raceway, Warwick, Queensland, August 17 – 19
- Round 6- Winton Motor Raceway, Benalla, Victoria, September 7 – 9
- Round 7- Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit October 12 – 14
Troy Bayliss Events
Anyone who has seen Troy in the past few years will know that he is still supremely fit and his eagerness to race and win has been evident at the Troy Bayliss Classic events in Taree.
Troy placed second in the Australian Superbike Championship before heading overseas and acknowledges he has some unfinished business.
“I have a bit of work to do in terms of fitness but after testing the bike and running it at the Adelaide Motorsport Festival I feel I am definitely up to the task,” he says.