The Ducati Monster 1200 R is the most powerful naked bike the Italian company has produced with 117.7kW of power and 131.4Nm of torque.
That compares with the Monster 1200 S at 106kW/124.5Nm and the standard 1200 at 99.3/kW/118Nm.
The R version is also 2kg lighter at 207kg thanks to a trim tailpiece, forged wheels and carbon fibre components.
The latest Monster was unveiled over night at the Frankfurt Motor Show featuring the latest full-colour instruments, riding modes, power modes, and adjustable Ohlins suspension and steering damper.
It is powered by the same 1200cc Testastretta 11° DS L-twin, but with 10% more peak power at an extra 500 revs and 5.5% more torque.
Here is what the passionate Italians have to say about the R:
“The “R” spirit that inspired the new Monster 1200 is immediately recognisable in its completely redesigned, compact, lightweight and high-slung tailpiece, seat and high-mounted plate holder.
“The bike set-up and technical features are in line with the power rating of its “R” twin-cylinder engine. The latest naked model out of the Ducati factory features a higher stance than the Monster 1200 S, for more extreme lean angles and to make the most of the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres. At the rear end, grip is guaranteed by the 200/55 x ZR17 size tyres.”
The Monster 1200 R is also equipped with the Ducati Safety Pack including the ABS and Ducati Traction Control systems.
It has three different Riding Modes (Sport, Touring and Urban) which Ducati refers to as “Monster R souls”, delivered by different settings of the power mode, the ABS and Traction Control systems.
Ducati Australia and New Zealand Marketing Coordinator L’Oreal Pierce says no pricing or delivery date information has been made available yet. “However we know that the bike will be a MY2016 bike,” she says.
There is no word yet on how much it will cost or when it will be available in Australia. However, it will come in Ducati Red with R livery, Ducati Red frame and Dark Chrome wheels, or “Thrilling Black” with R livery, Dark Chrome frame and wheels.
Features include: Exhaust with pentagonal section twin silencers, Sport seat with model ID plate, New design passenger seat cover, Billet machined footpegs and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres.
Ducati Monster 1200 R tech specs
- Engine: Testastretta 11° DS, L-Twin cylinders, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled Displacement: 1.198,4 cc
- Bore X stroke: 106 x 67,9 mm
- Compression: 13,0:1
- Power: 117.7kW (160 hp) @ 9250rpm
- Torque: 131.4Nm (97 lb-ft) @ 7750rpm
- Fuel injection: Synerject-Continental electronic fuel injection system, elliptical throttle body Ø 56 mm equivalent with full Ride-by-Wire
- Exhaust: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin aluminium mufflers
- Gearbox: 6 speed Primary drive Straight cut gears; Ratio 1.84:1 Ratio 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
- Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 41
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run
- Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame attached to the cylinder head
- Front suspension: Öhlins fully adjustable Ø 48 mm usd forks Front wheel Tri-W spoke forged alloy 3.50″ x 17″ Front tyre Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Öhlins monoshock. Aluminium singlesided swingarm
- Rear Wheel: Tri-W spoke forged alloy 6.00″ x 17″
- Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP 200/55 ZR17
- Wheel travel (front/rear): 130/159 mm
- Front brake: 2 x 330 mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo Monobloc evo M50 4piston callipers, radial pump with ABS as standard
- Rear brake: 245 mm disc, 2-piston calliper, with ABS as standard Instrumentation Full-TFT colour display
- Dry weight: 180kg (396.8lb)
- Kerb weight: 207kg (456.3lb)
- Seat: 830mm (32.7in)
- Wheelbase: 1509mm (59.4 in)
- Rake: 24,3°
- Front wheel trail: 89mm (3,5 in)
- Fuel tank capacity: 17.5L – 4.6 gallon (US) Number of seats 2
- Maintenance: (km/mi/months) 15000/9000/12 Valve clearance adjustment (km/mi) 30000/18000
- Homologation: Euro 4