Simone Watts motorcycle Ambassadors

Call for riders to be ambassadors

Motorcyclists have had a bad name for too many years and it’s time for riders to actively be good ambassadors for their pastime, says Simone Watts.

There are several things riders can do to avoid fostering negative images: not speeding through school zones, not revving their bikes at 5am in the suburbs and not popping wheelies in public.

However, these are all passive measures.


Simone says she is calling on riders to become ambassadors by taking some active initiatives such as seeking more training and talking to younger riders about safety.

“I challenge all who read this to be motorcycle ambassadors – stop and have a chat when you’re out and about,” she says.

“Help our communities to become more ‘bike aware’ by humanising us riders.

“People regularly talk to my partner and me,” says Simone who rides a Ducati Monster 821.

Simone Watts motorcycle Ambassadors
Simone on her CBX250

Simone got her motorcycle licence in the 1980s, then had a 15-plus-year break.

Seek training

Even though she still had her licence, when she returned to riding, she did voluntary rider training.

“I feel this education is 100% necessary,” she says.

“It helps us to anticipate and expect the unexpected.

“An example is the buffering technique. I never knew about this in my earlier riding experience.

Unfortunately I still see many riders lane-splitting or filtering past heavy vehicles (illegal in some states) and L and P platers who are not supposed to at all.

“These newer riders have received mandatory rider training and still put themselves at risk. I suppose you can’t put an old head on young shoulders.

“Please think about updating your skills via a fun rider course.”

  1. Moira, if only 15% of riders are women it’s no surprise they only account for a small number of crashes.
    Men & women produce testosterone, different amounts. Perhaps their levels peaked that day.

    Revenue collectors blame all accidents on speed, someone blames testosterone, & someone wrote an article blaming the moon.
    What’s the next one going to be?

    Helena Gritton was voted in as president of Ulysses Australia while recovering from a bad motorcycle accident.
    Testosterone had nothing to do with either event.

    Instagram star Olga Pronina, world’s most famous female motorcyclist, died this year. She’s greatly missed all over the world.
    Testosterone had nothing to do with that either.

  2. Testosterone is what gets most men into fatal crashes and serious injuries on the road, Women make up 15% of road riders but only account for very small numbers of crashes so I would argue that testosterone is the last thing needed for road riding, Big Dick.

  3. The Small Penis Compensators (ridiculously loud exhausts) used by cruisers & teenagers on LAMS cause 99% of public aggro. The other 1% is jealousy from those who don’t have enough testosterone to ride a roadbike so ignore it.

  4. Clubs are often bike specific or age specific or activity specific.
    There are one or two general clubs and I’ve even been to a couple of rallies organised by them but I can not for the life of me remember their names and have no idea of how to find them without winding up at a porn site.
    Perhaps the magazine could do a story on the various non specific clubs and how to contact them ?

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get free access to the best motorcycle newsletter on the planet

Join The Newsletter