The first Brough Superior motorcycles in seven decades will start to roll off the assembly line in France in October at £49,999 (about $A86,000, $US66,000) each.
It’s been three years since the new generation of SS100 was unveiled at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan in November, 2013.
From October, the new company will start making about 60 bikes a year and already half of the first run is sold.
Brough Superior produced the Rolls Royce of motorcycles in Nottingham from 1919 to 1940. Each bike came with a certificate to prove it could go 100mph (160km/h). Lawrence of Arabia owned eight and died when he crashed one.
Today, old Brough Superior bikes sell for around half a million dollars at auction.
The company is now owned by Austrian-based English businessman Mark Upham who has collaborated with French designer Thierry Henriette.
The new SS100 will be handmade at a rate of one a day in Henriette’s factory in Toulouse, France.
They are powered by a 997cc, DOHC 80-degree V-twin built by French company Akira, who built the Kawasaki ZX-10R which won the World Superbike championship.
It comes as a 73kW unit but can be tuned up to 102kW at the customer’s request.
The SS100 is a beautifully naked cafe racer with no paint to interrupt the raw beauty of the machine.
It comes with double right-sided chromed bazooka pipes, solo seat, four-disc front brakes that look like drum brakes, BMW-style wishbone front suspension and bomb-style polished aluminium fuel tank.
The SS100 sits on 18-inch spoked wheels and the whole bike weighs just 189kg.
Each bike will be built to order with varied seat, tank and wheel options, as well as the bespoke engine tuning and possibly turbocharging.
Brough Superior SS100
- Engine: 997cc V-twin four-stroke
- Price: £49,999 (about $A86,000, $US66,000)
- Power: 75kW-102kW @ 9800rpm
- Torque: 90Nm @ 6400rpm
- Transmission: six-speed
- Top speed: 217km/h (135mph estimated)
- Economy: 6.2L/100km
- Wheelbase: 1550mm
- Steering angle: 24.6°
- Trail: 96.7mm
- Dry weight: 189kg
- Frame: Steel and Titanium tubular trellis
- Suspension: Fior double wishbone Ohlins Shock (120mm travel); Progressive system Ohlins Shock (130mm)
- Brakes: 4D Ceramic Beringer , 2x floating double discs, aluminium-ceramic
- composite material, diameter 230mm, 2x four pistons calipers with radial fixation and special sintered metal pads; Single rear disc, aluminum-ceramic composite material, diameter 230mm,
- 2 pistons caliper with special sintered metal pads
- Wheels: 18”, alloy; 3.50 x 18”; 4.25 x 18”
- Tyres: 120/70 ZR 18; 160/60 ZR 18
- Sales: www.motocorsa.co.uk