BMW Motorrad returns to the cruiser category with the classic R 18 cruiser styled after the 1936 R 5, including double white pinstriping.
We’ve seen several other variants of the bike in concepts, prototypes and spy photos, so we expect this is just the first in a new line with the 1802cc boxer engine.
BMW Australia says the classic R 18 cruiser will arrive the third quarter of this year with prices starting at $26,890 (plus on-road costs).
The R 18 First Edition, which features classic double pin striping paint and chrome will be is available in limited numbers for $30,190.
The initial batch of R 18 First Editions allocated to Australia arriving this year will be fitted with “reverse assist”, bringing the price to $31,690.
At 345kg dry weight, it needs reverse assist!
We also reckon the riding position looks a little uncomfortable with the inability for forward controls because of the massive boxer heads.
It will come with a range of accessories including ape hanger bars, tractor saddle, racks and more.
Yes, thankfully it also includes pipes to replace that dreadfully massive standard exhaust!
Highlights of the new BMW R 18 – $26,890
- Largest two-cylinder BMW boxer engine at 1802cc (click here for more engine details)
- 67kW of power at 4,750rpm and 158Nm of torque at 3,000rpm. More than 150Nm available at all times from 2000-4000rpm;
- Exposed drive-shaft and elaborate double-loop steel tube frame based on classic models;
- Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid frame design;
- Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut that includes travel-dependent damping;
- Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control;
- Disc brakes front and rear with wire-spoked wheels;
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology with classically interpreted design;
- Adaptive turning light for enhanced road illumination and cornering illumination available as an ex-factory option;
- Classically designed circular instrument cluster with integrated display and ‘Berlin-Built’ label;
- Keyless Ride for convenient functionality and activation by remote control;
- Three standard riding modes (Rain, Roll and Rock), ASC and MSR;
- Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts available as ex-factory options – $1500;
- R 18 First Edition package offers an exclusive look in signature double pin striping paint and chrome – $30,190;
- Initial allocation of R 18 First Edition units for local market fitted with Reverse assist, bringing price to $31,690.
Classic R 18 Tech specs
|Capacity||1802cc / cui|
|Bore x stroke||107.1x100mm|
|at engine speed||4750rpm|
|at engine speed||3000rpm|
|Type||Air/water-cooled 2-cylinder 4-stroke boxer engine|
|No. of cylinders||2|
|Compression/fuel||9.6:1 / premium unleaded (95-98 RON)|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Ø throttle valves||48mm|
|Emission control||Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, EU5 exhaust standard|
|Headlight||LED low beam with projection module LED high beam with projection module|
|Power transmission – gearbox|
|Clutch||Hydraulically activated single-disc dry clutch|
|Gearbox||Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox|
|Transmission ratios I||2,438|
|Rear wheel drive||Universal shaft|
|Frame construction type||Double-loop steel tube frame|
|Front wheel control||Telescopic fork, fork tube Ø 49 mm|
|Rear wheel control||Cantilever|
|Total spring travel, front/rear||120/90mm|
|Steering head angle||57.3°|
|Brakes front||Twin disc brake Ø 300 mm|
|Brakes rear||Single disc brake Ø 300 mm|
|ABS||BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)|
|front||3.5 x 19”|
|rear||5.0 x 16”|
|Tyres front||120/70 R 19 or B 19 (manufacturer-dependent)|
|Tyres rear||180/65 B 16|
|Dimensions and weights|
|Total width with mirrors||964mm|
|DIN unladen weight, road ready||345kg|
|Permitted total weight||560kg|
|Fuel tank capacity||16L|
|Fuel consumption (WMTC)||5.6l/100 km|
|CO2 emissions (WMTC):||129g/km|
|0‒100 km/h||4s 800ms|