Meet the latest Aussie-made V8 vehicle – only this isn’t a Commodore or a Falcon family sedan; it’s a motorcycle!
The PGM is powered by a 2-litre 1996cc, 90-degree V8 with the engine pumping out a massive 249kW (334HP) at 12,800rpm and 214Nm of torque at 9500rpm, measured at the countershaft sprocket.
That’s not far short of a Holden Commodore’s 6-litre V8 which has 270kW of power. Yet the Bendigo-made PGM V8 weighs only 242kg compared with the 1.6 tonne of the Commodore.
The PGM V8 motorcycle is the brainchild of Paul G Maloney who founded Maltec Performance Engineering in 2008.
Paul had dreamed of building a compact motorcycle with a purpose-built engine, rather than other V8 motorcycles – Boss Hog, Drysdale and Barbarian – which use existing engines, usually Chevies.
The result is this purpose-built engine featuring a flat-plane crankshaft machined from a single piece of En36 steel so it won;t only be fast, but have an awesome soundtrack.
It also features carbonfibre bodywork, Akrapovic titanium exhaust, Brembo brakes, Marchesini wheels, Ohlins suspension, and Motec instruments and engine management.
The project is the result of collaboration between Paul and engineer Clayton Stairmand, sidecar fabricator and racer Neville Hazelman and designer Seanr Chhean.
Apparently they plan to go into production and they PGM V8 will cost a cool $180,000!
- Price: $180,000
- Engine: 1996cc, DOHC, 40-valve, 90-degree V8
- Bore/stroke: 77 x 54mm
- Compression: 13:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Fuelling: 8 x 45mm Mikuni Drive-By-Wire throttle bodies
- Engine Management: Motec M130 ECU and software.
- Power: 249kW (334HP)@ 12,800rpm (At the countershaft sprocket)
- Torque: 214Nm @ 9,500rpm (At the countershaft sprocket)
- Exhaust: 2 x 4-2-1 titanium
- Transmission: 6-speed sequential, wet multi plate clutch, chain drive
- Rake: 25.5 degrees
- Trail: 107mm
- Frame: Chrome-moly tube trellis, CNC-machined aluminium rear chassis
- Suspension: fully adjustable Ohlins FGRT301 48mm USD forks, Ohlins TTX Mk2 shock, with custom link
- Wheels: 17.0 x 3.50 Marchesini 10 spoke, forged aluminium; 17.0 x 6.00 Marchesini 10 spoke, forged aluminium
- Tyres: 120/70ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Power 3; 190/50ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Power 3
- Brakes: Brembo GP4 Nickel plated calipers on 320mm discs; Brembo P4-34 Nickel plated caliper on 220mm disc
- Weight: 242kg wet with fuel, water and lubricants
- Weight bias: 51/49 front to rear static
- Seat: 840mm
- Wheelbase: 1540mm
- Fuel tank: 16.5litres
- (Specifications subject to change without notice.)