One of the sexiest sports bikes and still one of the fastest on the planet, the Suzuki Hayabusa, has changed colours for 2014, but not price.
Still a great bang-for-your-buck bargain at $19.290 (+ORC), the Hayabusa looks fast just standing still and now comes in a new blue and white livery or the very limited red and black. After all, red is faster, right? Only 25 of the red and black special edition will arrive in Australia so you’d need to be quick (like the bike).
The special edition Hayabusa not only features special paint and graphics, but also black front callipers with red “Brembo” lettering, red pin-striping on the wheels, two-tone red and black-coloured sea, matte black pillion footrest and a dark gold anodized chain adjuster, front fork outer tube, front fork adjuster, front fork cap and steering stem nut.
Despite being an absolute weapon with a “committed” riding position, it is actually very easy to ride long distances and the saddle is surprisingly comfortable.
The Hayabusa, which is Japanese for a swooping bird, arrived in 1999 capable of more than 300km/h, stunning the motorcycle public. Little has changed over the years except for the addition of three rider-selected engine maps, slipper clutch and last year it became the first Suzuki sports bike with ABS.
- Price: $19,290 (+ORC)
- Warranty: 2-year, unlimited kms
- Engine: 1340cc, In-line 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, DOHC, Liquid-cooled
- Transmission: 6-speed with slipper clutch
- Suspension: 43mm KYB inverted diamond-like coated (DLC) forks with adjustable compression, rebound and spring preload; link swingarm, KYB with adjustable compression, rebound and spring preload
- Tyres: 120/70ZR17; 190/50ZR17,
- Brakes: Brembo Monobloc Radial-mount 4-piston calipers, dual 310mm floating discs; Tokico single-piston caliper, 260mm disc, ABS
- Seat: 805mm
- Wheelbase: 1480mm
- Length: 2190mm
- Width: 735mm
- Height: 1165mm
- Fuel tank: 21.0L
- Wet weight: 266kg